Tuesday, July 9, 2013

What is a Fit Model?

This is a question I get about as often as "Do you know who you look like?" (by the way, I'll take feedback on the latter). It's one of those jobs you didn't know existed, unless you work in the fashion industry. Because deep down, who really thinks about how are clothes sized? and how is that size created?, other than the people who make the clothes, or in my case, the people who try them on and give feedback.

Yep, for the better part of nine years, I've worked varying numbers of hours as a fit model. I've been an independent as well as worked with a few agencies. I don't see either as better than the other. I've met cool Heads of Production at boutique design houses and been cattle for a committee of design liaisons for bigger labels. Sometimes I was asked for real pattern making feedback on the cut of a garment. Other times, I stood quietly for 3-4 hours changing garments while the committee assessed the "look" of it and compared the spec measurements on paper to the actual measurements of the sample I wore. OK, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's goto a definition, shall we?

According to Wikipedia...

"A fitting model (sometimes fit model) is a person who is used by a fashion designer or clothing manufacturer to check the fit, drape and visual appearance of a design on a 'real' human being, effectively acting as a live mannequin. A person is selected to work as a fitting model primarily on criteria matching the desired measurement specifications of the designer or manufacturer. These specifications generally consist of height, bust-waist-hip circumference, arm and leg length, shoulder width, and a myriad of other measurements as indicated by the garment type. This is the case whether the garments are for women or men of any size; the grading of construction patterns is often tested on a variety of fitting models to be sure that increases in size are translated accurately and evenly across the range.
Beyond merely wearing the garment for inspection, a fitting model can become an integral role in the design process; commenting on garments and materials with regards to fit, movement and feel on flesh, and objective feedback on the 'fit' and design of the garment in the stead of the consumer. Ultimately, a fitting model aids in confirming that the sizing, design and cut of the garment to be produced meets the designer's specifications and intentions."

So, a lot of details, not a ton of glamour or cat walking to report. Back to the here and now... I'm an out of work fit model. I was fairly actively working before I left NYC in October 2011 with a client roster that included J. Mendel, Lauren Hansen, A|X, Diane von Furstenberg, Donna Karan and number of other smaller companies or start-ups. Since moving to Los Angeles, I've been lucky to pick up some substitute gigs for friends at a few places. I was also waiting to see where my post-baby body would land "size-wise". It pretty much landed where I left it one year post-pardem. Maybe the boobs got smaller--the downside of nursing. This leaves me with a question:

How do models find clients in this town? and why are the rates so much lower than in New York?

I was told before coming here that NY experience would go very far in LA. Hmmm, still waiting to see that, as well as hear back from emails--don't even get me started about the time lag in replies to emails out West. Jarring, really.

It also makes me wonder if age is not a factor. I know that should be an understatement in the world of modeling, but we're talking NUMBERS here folks. If you fit the numbers and you do the gig professionally, you should be fine until there's a personnel change at the company. I don't want this to sound like a total rant. I'm not even sure I LIKE fit modeling, and I'm certainly not going to start attending rooftop hotel bar parties where models mingle and find work. BLEH! Maybe if I was 15 years younger and with half my IQ, I'd take a swing at it.

So, where does this leave me? An out of work fit model with a very scattered work resume besides it and music--both HIGHLY reliable fields of work these days. I suppose as much as this began a simple look at an relatively misunderstood job, it's returned to my "next chapter" question. I'm open to working and I'm pretty professional when I'm on the job, but if this door has indeed closed for good, what do I take from the experience to the next one? Sure, I've learned a lot more about how clothes go from drawings to runway to the store rack. Maybe that's enough. Would folks be asking Thoreau what he intended to "do" with the experience from Walden these days? Maybe some would. I hate falling into that trap, but I do it all the time.

For now, I'm going to rest knowing there may be more to come, or not, but I clearly am yearning for something else to do outside the role of MOM. 

1 comment:

  1. Maybe a couple of ideas:
    1) check out purchasers for design labels who assess the fitting or handle the fit changes?
    2) perhaps you could be an awesome personal shopper in some upscale boutique or store?
    3) finally, maybe check out other fashion stores, like the fabric industry or design schools. . .become a model in the school of design or UCLA or anyone else who has fashion design as a program

    Just some thoughts! You just need to think about how to market your skills that you've learned from being a model and being a part of the design process into other aspects of the industry. I'll keep my eyes peeled and give it some more thought! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete